The starting point of my IT journey

Since November 2019, I got the privilege to join a reputed private IT company Nettobe Group in Mauritius to start a new career in Cloud Business Application namely Zoho and Freshworks through the new department Nettobe Services (link). But the issue was that I was not in software engineering, I studied for more than 3 years telecommunication engineering at University of Technology Mauritius (UTM) and got only to learn basic C++ link.




 


To be able to face this new world, I was advised by my Head of Cloud Business Application to follow programming classes on python (link), learn database for SQL, system analysis and design and also study the syllabus of BCS namely Information Systems, Software Development and Computer and Network Technology while also working the past exam papers available on the website (link)


But as usual, in a workplace, there must be a balance between learning and working at the same time, so this a few tips are given by my Head and also some which I have put into practice:






1. Have a proper timetable to work as a professional and learn as a student.
Given the workload, it is not evident to absorb everything in 1 month. I needed to prepare a timetable to learn python, database, the cloud business applications which I needed to study and prepare documentation for marketing purpose and review.


2. Communication key factor in any organization
Any issue, any update, any new idea should be communicated to the Head, CEO or colleague. This brings transparency, trust and progress to the company. And the most important part is to see where you stand after few days, few months.



3. Be a team player
I am an open person but it takes time to adapt to a new working environment. So have a chat with colleagues, be proactive, be creative and propose ideas. Work is more pleasant in a dynamic environment.

4. Learn and implement at the same
While learning excel since our department also deals with sales, I also have to build sample sheets that shows real business scenarios regarding sales, finance. I got the opportunity to know about reference and functions such as Lookup, HLookup, VLookup, INDEX, MATCH (link)


5. Think like a hacker, think a customer
When I say hacking, it is not on an IT basis breaking into IT systems, the customer is lazy, demanding, wants it right now, always in rush. So as a young Cloud Business Application Engineer I needed to think like a customer, which product or service I need, at what price can I afford it, what value it will bring into my company, is it a whole package product, do I need third party integration, APIs or use another product to use it for support.



6. Know your business, know your market and target specific customers
The world of cloud business applications is very vast. You cannot imagine, Microsoft, Google, Salesforce, Oracle only to mention a few and you must know how to target your customers, whether B2B or B2C. This is where strategic marketing comes and you must target a specific market known as your "beachhead market".

7. Develop critical thinking
If not all, most youngsters of this modern generation depends on internet to find solutions and the best help is Google. Type something and you get the answer most of the time. So I was trained to think of solutions based on some problems at work without relying on the internet. It is an opportunity to test my IQ and EQ and see my level of taking decisions, initiatives and give final words based on my proposed solutions.



It is already 5 months since I am working in this private company and I am very happy to face a competitive environment, knowing the real definition of promoting a new department in a company and trying different marketing strategies to attract customers. I have even able to understand the nature of customers after carrying out the above practice:

1. The customer is both lazy and demanding. So you have to attract them in an efficient way, keep in touch with them, understand clearly their business requirements and be able to deliver quickly in case of support or other technical or business issues.

2. Not all companies want the latest technologies, some still use past technologies. It is not because they lack an innovative mindset or are not up-to-date with the latest technologies, it is because of migration from an older version of technology to a new one which is time consuming, costly, need expertise and also hire persons or use equipment or software that require competency from professional which is quite difficult to get.

3. As a company, I must be able to know also my competitor's products, services and market. It is not about spying on them, but with social media marketing, it is very easy to know about the latest launch of a new product from an announcement from Linkedin, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other platforms to promote marketing.

4. Business is more about relations rather than just a job. Sometimes a fruitful discussion with the customers excluding work is very important. If they are friendly and open, ask him or her about hobbies, quote jokes:buhahahaha, talk about latest trend happening around the world such as football news: LFC beats Man Utd for example, celebrities, brands, coffee etc...








Comments

Popular Posts